Moses went up the mountain to meet God. He was a real Christian. The rest were BS (Bottom of Sinai) Christians.
The book of Psalm is divided up into 5 smaller books, which were not assembled in chronological order. For example, the first psalm chronologically is Psalm 90 (written by Moses).
Psalm 1-41 – Book 1
Psalm 42-72 – Book 2
Psalm 73-89 – Book 3
Psalm 90-106 – Book 4
Psalm 107-150 – Book 5
– Psalms is a real, raw book. Psalm 90 is a psalm written by Moses. Chronologically, it is the first psalm. How does Moses/Israelites’ journey depict the Christian life? [Additional verses: 1 Pet 1:1; 1 Pet 2:11; 1 Pet 1:3-9; Psalm 106; 2 Cor 4:7-15; 2 Cor 5:6-10]
– Of the 1-2 million Israelites who were with Moses in the first generation, how many of them entered the Promised Land? What does this tell you about the journey of faith that we are on?
– Read John 5:37-47. In what context does the name of Moses come up? How is this relevant to our discussion?
– Read Exodus 20:18-19. What was the reaction of the people when they saw the thunder, lightning and the mountain smoking and heard the sound of the trumpet? Why is this such a tragic chapter in Israel’s history? How might we be repeating the same mistake today?
– Read Exodus 34:29-35. What was the reaction of the people when they saw the shining face of Moses reflecting the glory of God? For us as people of the new covenant, where can we experience the glory of God at present while we wait for Habakkuk 2:14 to be fulfilled in the future? [Read 2 Cor 4:1-6] – How can we define evangelism?
– What is the main takeaway from this sermon?